Skip to main content

Weeping Sunflowers

 Today was absolutely perfect and I couldn't ask for anything better

It was a blazing sun with scorching heat, but it was beautiful. Emotional, mentally and sorta physically! First thing this morning I woke up and got the boys and myself ready. I did my hair, I even put makeup on! That never happens any more. This momma doesn't have time for that. But I spent the most wonderful, quality time with my mom and sister. 

We were on the search for sunflowers over on the other side of Missouri, in what it felt like was 100 degrees out. The first patch we came across, there had to be at least 10 cars parked and you had to walk a good amount just to get to the flowers. At first that idea did not appeal to me, nor did it to my mom and sister, at least I don't imagine it did! We continued on to see if there were any more sunflower patches that were a closer walk. I'd gone last year with Lindsey and we had found one that was right on the side of the road, you didn't have to walk anywhere. It didn't seem like long before we saw a few more cars parked and we could soon see there was another patch of sunflowers! It was  a bit of a walk still but the ground looked much more dry to at least put the boys in the stroller and take them out there. 

That is exactly what we did, after a few minutes of getting them all set up and happy we headed towards the dirt road covered with straw. Jeremiah didn't want to be in the stroller which didn't surprise me at all, I thought he might want to walk after the hour long car ride. But nope, he wanted momma to carry him. That is when I realized just how hot it was. I wanna say it was almost noon? And the sun was coming down HOT. When we reached the sunflowers we realized that they had already begun to die, they were weeping. 

Yes we drove an hour to spend all of 15 minutes out in the sun which was miserable hot, we were covered in sweat and the sunflowers were weeping. But it was a beautiful day and I am so unbelievably happy. I don't care that the photos were a bust, that the boys were fussy from the heat, that the bees were everywhere and the sunflowers didn't want to smile for us. I got to spend the morning with my mom and sister, I got to have human contact and interaction with my family. It wasn't raining and it wasn't gloomy. It was sunny and bright, I saw a beautiful bird and a big beautiful Monarch butterfly. 

It was perfect.

Though I still won't give up on my search for sunflowers, I want those photos of Rachel's in the middle of the sunflower patch! Sunflowers have a special place in our hearts because of my mom, they're her favorite flowers and Rachel being momma's baby girl has a very special place in her heart from them. 

I am so thankful for today. 

We spent time talking about some issues we're both struggling with, we ate some delicious Freddy's burgers and drank some extra caffeinated coffee. The boys behaved after they both were fed and in the air conditioning. I miss days like today, where I know there's more to life than just sitting at home taking care of my boys. Which isn't a bad thing. I love being their mom! And I love doing the mom things but I also love having inspiration to do the other things that I love. Photographing and writing. Day's like today give me motivation to do just those things. 

But on top of my incredible morning, I am writing this! Which means my boys are sleeping! Well, Jeremiah is suppose to be sleeping but he is in his room not screaming at least. I'm so grateful I had today, getting the boys out and myself makes me know I can and should do it more often. It benefits us all.

Until next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Days are Still Beautiful

 Today was off to a rough start but as I’m sitting on my couch typing this I am watching my son finally smile and laugh at me. We’ve had a hard last couple of days, not sleeping, lots and lots of fussing, constantly needing to be held. Not sure if it’s a growth spurt, teething or a upset tummy but whatever it is I wish I could take it away. The worst feeling is not being able to do anything for him. Then there are moments like this, when we have no sleep we’re drained and exhausted, but Jeremiah just sits there smiling at me. It makes me forget about that last 48 hours and appreciate everything I have. I love him, I love my life, everything we have. I am so blessed. He is growing so fast, no longer my little new born.  I can’t believe he’s going to be six months in just a few short weeks. I would have sworn he’s said daddy and dada a couple times this week. It feels like Jeremiah has been around my whole life, I can’t think of what life was like before him but on the other hand I feel

Crisp Autumn Leaves

Autumn is my favorite season. The chill in the air, the crunch of leaves, the vibrant change in colors. Today there was running, smiling and laughing. Jumping, falling and getting back up. This is what we all needed.  My little sister, who's my closest friend, joined me and the boys on the spur of the moment park day and it was a blast. We went to Rock Springs to enjoy what Jeremiah calls, the tall green park! It’s one of my favorite places to be, it’s quiet there and peaceful which is what we need in life right now.  This was the first time that I actually went to the playground itself, usually I’d walk the path through the woods. It’s also my mom's favorite walking place, no surprise there, I am my mothers daughter.  But so the three of them ran around on the playground and yes I said three of them. Josiah, my youngest, insisted Rachel go up with him to help get to the third level. That little boy has everyone wrapped around his little finger and knows how to get what he want

Experiences > material things

  The holidays are right around the corner. Which means the gift giving season is upon us and it has me thinking back on past holidays of what was given and loved and this is the conclusion I came to. Experiences are hands down better than material things.  Memories like these are never forgotten. Time spent together as a family is something I will never be able to get enough of.  I was fortunate to have been both born into and married into incredible families. Most aren't as lucky as I am. Which is more reason to embrace experiences and make memories. Board and Brush was one of those things I will forever cherish. It was a gift given to us by Grandma Linda and I will always be thankful for. This was over two years ago and I still remember it so fondly.  In this case, her gift gave us both and experience and a material item. We all made our own sign or crate whatever it was we choose and was able to bring it home. I still have my sign to this day and I imagine I will keep it for ma