Skip to main content

The world moves on, but we don’t.





The world moves on, but we don’t.

Our hearts still ache—some days more than others. People say it gets easier, but it hasn’t. Instead, each day seems to pull us deeper into the reality that he’s gone, that he’s not just “away.” There’s no moment when you suddenly hear that laugh you loved so much or enjoy those jokes he always seemed to have that would brighten your day. Our little boys can’t run to their papa for one of those bear hugs only he could give, hugs that made them feel like the safest place in the world was right there in his arms.

For my husband, he wasn’t just a dad—he was a friend. He was there to ease the tension between hard moments, but he was also the one good for a laugh and a stupid joke when you needed it most. My husband doesn’t get to call him anymore, can’t share his victories or complain to him after the annoying days at work. He was always there with a listening ear, sometimes wisdom, but often with just the right amount of nonsense to lift the weight off your shoulders.

It’s those small, irreplaceable moments that are missed the most. Every holiday, every celebration feels incomplete. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's… they all feel hollow without his dad’s laughter filling the room, his humor breaking up the day, his goofy dances that made everyone smile, even when he embarrassed himself just for fun. I’ll never hear him sing along to "Low" by Flo Rida,. Those moments, so simple yet precious, are gone.

And every day, I find myself wishing, more than anything, that my husband could just call his dad, even just once. To share one more conversation, hear his voice, or feel that embrace. I’d give anything to see his face light up with his dad’s humor, to have our boys wrapped up in their papa’s arms. I want that empty place in our hearts to be filled again, for the ache that sits so heavily in us to fade. But it’s a wish we can’t have, because God decided to bring him home.

I keep thinking about how we move forward and keep his memory alive in a way that fills us with warmth instead of just sadness. Maybe it’s in all the little memories we carry—the stories we’ll tell our kids, the funny moments that still make us laugh even when they bring a tear or two. It’s about finding ways to keep his spirit alive, to let his kindness and humor shine through us. He may not be here physically, but he’s woven into our family forever, part of our laughter, our traditions, and the way we love each other.

In a way, he’ll always be with us, a piece of who we are and who we’ll always be. And maybe that’s what matters most—that he lives on through the joy and love he left behind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're home.

We are back home in St. Louis, near family which is actually what we wanted. It just happened a little differently than we thought. Josh no longer works for Drury, thank god. That company worked my husband to death and kept expecting more and more from him. Since he left he is a completely different man, in the best way possible. He is home way more, he doesn’t answer several calls in the middle of the night, he doesn't bring home work. It’s been a blessing. He now works in construction and is a Realtor. He actually comes home when he is supposed to be off, which alone is one of the best changes in our life since leaving Drury.  The other incredible change is I’m all of a sudden a mom of two and that is why we ended up back in St. Louis so quickly. Having another baby on the way I needed to be home, I couldn’t go through postpartum by myself again feeling so isolated.  I need my family and support.   And that’s exactly what we did, Josh got us back here. There was a ...

Experiences > material things

  The holidays are right around the corner. Which means the gift giving season is upon us and it has me thinking back on past holidays of what was given and loved and this is the conclusion I came to. Experiences are hands down better than material things.  Memories like these are never forgotten. Time spent together as a family is something I will never be able to get enough of.  I was fortunate to have been both born into and married into incredible families. Most aren't as lucky as I am. Which is more reason to embrace experiences and make memories. Board and Brush was one of those things I will forever cherish. It was a gift given to us by Grandma Linda and I will always be thankful for. This was over two years ago and I still remember it so fondly.  In this case, her gift gave us both and experience and a material item. We all made our own sign or crate whatever it was we choose and was able to bring it home. I still have my sign to this day and I imagine I will...

Hot Days & Happy Dinosaurs: Summer with Our Chickens

  Sweaty, Sun-Kissed, and Surrounded by Feathers This summer has been hot —the kind of heat that makes your shirt stick to your back, your hair cling to your forehead, and your water bottle your constant companion. But honestly? I’m loving every sweaty, messy, joy-filled moment with our chickens. Our little flock has found their summer groove—scratching, pecking, dust-bathing, and giving us the occasional judgmental side-eye when their treats don’t come fast enough. The boys have become my trusty chicken helpers, eager to hold their favorites and help with feed time. Even Jeremiah, who’s never been much of an animal lover, is the first to run out and scoop up Sunny or Justine. Watching their confidence grow around the chickens (and the chickens’ trust grow in return) has been one of my favorite parts of this whole adventure. They’re not laying eggs yet—though we’re patiently waiting!—but this season has already given us something more. It’s about giving the boys something to look f...